The Toy Fair held at London’s Olympia revealed the top new toys for 2014. A good mix of traditional and modern toys were chosen, with categories including pre-school, role play, and technological.
Sylvanian Families were among the winners of the ‘Play Set’ category, alongside Playmobil. These much-loved brands are still widely available on the high street, and also in online stores such as www.ebay.co.uk.
The number of winning toys totalled 39, and winners were announced by the British Toy and Hobby Association. The ‘Best New Toy Awards’ went to a wide range of candidates from inexpensive pocket money toys through to large and elaborate play sets.
Winners for 2014
· Lego continues to lead the construction toy market with two winning sets – Lego City Police Station and Lego Friends Stephanie’s Beach House. This brand’s popularity is well-established, and their range of construction sets has kept children happy for decades.
· Glowing Chemistry by Thames & Kosmos teaches children the science behind light, offering something a little different from many chemistry sets on the market. One of the winners of the ‘Creative’ category, it promises to be a hit with budding scientists, and provides a valuable insight into a major school science topic.
· Lalaloopsy Babies are sure to appeal to younger children, and were named as one of the best dolls at the Toy Fair. Produced by MGA Entertainment, these cute characters are set to be a big hit this year.
· The Green Board Company has developed ‘Brainbox Colour and Create’ which was among the winners of the ‘Games and Puzzles’ category. Children can create their own questions on the Brainbox cards, colouring them in and using the sand timer to play the game.
· Look out for Scalextric RCS in the shops this year – it is an updated version of the ever-popular track game. Scalextric history goes back as far as 1952. ‘RCS’ stands for Race Control System, whereby Bluetooth technology is used to control the cars via a handheld wireless device. Three new RCS power bases are currently available, and players can customise the driving experience using throttle mapping plus other car handling features.
· Pocket money toys are always popular with parents and children, and for 2014 the winners of this category at the Toy Fair were:
- Nursery Trampoline by James Galt
- Toot Toot Drivers Police Station by VTech
- Learn to Pedal 3-in-1 Trike by Little Tikes