Once a month we will be profiling a mum in business. Everyone loves the weekly profile of a budgeting mum and I thought profiling a business mum each month may be of interest too for those of you wanting to be inspired to earn some extra money and perhaps set off on a new career path. Here is our first mum …
- What’s your name? Carol Smith
- How old are your Kids? She is 2 yrs old
- Where do you work? Home/office? Home
- What childcare spot do you have? My MIL has her two days a week for me
- What inspired you to start your own business? When my maternity leaved ended I want to go back to work part time. The company I worked for couldn’t accommodate the hours I needed so I didn’t return. I job hunted for 6 months but due to the recession it was tough going. I had been blogging for just over a year when I decided to see if I could actually make money from my blogs.
- When did you start your business? I started monetizing my blogs in February 2010. I became a freelance blogging and social media consultant in September 2010 and I have just launched my new business Find the Right Person.
- Any start up fees? I had no start up fee’s for my first blogs. When I went freelance I spent £5.98 on my Domain name www.professionalblogservices.co.uk. For Find The Right Person I spent £5.98 on my Domain name www.findtherightperson.co.uk and $12 to use it on blog provider.
- Tell me about your business? Find The Right Person is a job board for Bloggers, Web/Blog Designers and Social Media experts. You can post a job vacancy or if you are a freelancer you can post your profile. I found as I was looking for freelance work that there wasn’t many places to find jobs you really have to chase them. I also found after speaking to people that ran business blogs that they didn’t really have time to do write the blogs and all the social media that comes with it but didn’t know there were people out there who could do it for them. My aim is to match these people together.
- What are your aims for your business? I aim to have multiple streams of income to ensure I will never have to go job hunting again. I would like to earn a full time income on part time hours.
- Have you got 3 tips for any mum thinking of starting a business on a budget?
- Research, research, research the area you want start a business in .
- Write a business plan and be realistic with your budget. You don’t need a lot of money to start a business but you do need to spend your money wisely.
- Make the most of free resources available from e courses to websites. Use your local library and check out your local Business link for networking and free courses. Facebook and Twitter are a great way to promote your business for free and make contacts.
Good luck Carol Your business ideas sound fabulous!