I have encountered many mums looking for part time job.
Ever since I wrote How to Afford Time off with your Baby people have talked to me about their finances, often just wanting to talk but sometimes asking advice.
Many mums who wanted to stay at home with their babies end up looking for part time jobs to try and make ends meet.Some mums see kpart time jobs because they need to socialise, use their brain differenmtly for a while or to keep their hand in career wise.
Mums looking for part time jobs have to weigh up what they want though. When I was in this position it was definitely for financial reasons that I needed to work but I wanted/needed a couple of things in place and job I was to take:
I wanted to have my son with me (I was breastfeeding) and I wanted to only work one day a week. I found the perfect job for me running a baby signing franchise. I could take my son with me and ran 3 classes on one morning a week. I made loads of new friends, earned good money and got know a lot of mums in my local community. It was the perfect part time job for me.
Workingmums.co.uk is a great job & community site and has lot s of part time jobs on the site to inspire mums looking to get back out there. It is well worth a look and it has lots of good advise too.I think my top tips for mums looking for part time work would be
1. Writ e down what you wants form a part time job (e.g money, pride)
2. Write down what you need from a part time job (flexibility, specific days)
3. Get your CV sorted
4. Tell people you are looking and start scouring web pages and newspapers. You need to be actively seeking to find the right thing.
5. Explore child care options and build up your child’s familiarity with carers and yours with being away from you child. This will help to reduce separetion anxieties for both of you later
6. Courage is important; this may be the time to try something new. Being a mum tryingt o make a few pennies landed me with a book deal, a singing job and a blog. I used to be a social worker so who would have though they would be career options!
Good luck to all you mums looking for part time jobs. Go for it!